I had such a wonderful time this summer participating in the One Local Summer event! Seeking fresh, delicious, local items to prepare in meals for my family was a delightful experience. My girls were a tremendous help each week at the Farmer's Market, asking where items were grown, weighing items for purchase and helping me remember to bring our cloth bags for shopping! Many thanks are in order to Liz at Pocket Farm and all of the regional "assistants" who helped make this event a great success and so easy to share with everyone!
For the finale this week, my goal was to make every evening dinner a local meal. We succeeded in making all but one of our dinners this week local and also all but one of our breakfasts! It was a ton of fun and the girls helped with the menu planning at the beginning of the week.
I don't normally menu plan for the whole week in advance - I usually keep ingredients on hand for all of our "mainstay" dishes and we just make whatever sounds good that day. This week it was nice to know at the beginning of each day what we had planned!
Here's how the final week went for us. All produce from our local Farmer's Market, Lor's Produce stand unless otherwise noted. Lor's grows their produce within 60 miles of our home. Beef from our ranch - 0 miles from the freezer - the cattle live about 30 miles away in our pasture.
Monday - 27 Aug 07:
- Breakfast: Homemade Blueberry Pancakes. Blueberries from our freezer purchased from Harris Farms about 15 miles away. Eggs were also local, from about 12 miles away.
- Dinner: We had our own M4-D Ranch Steak Strips, boiled New Potatoes, Baby Limas, Foccacia Bread and Spinach Salad. All local ingredients (within 50 miles of us) except the bread and spinach salad. Dessert was a homemade strawberry yogurt freeze.
- Breakfast: Homemade Biscuits and M4-D Ranch Beef Sausage. I hand picked the seasonings after finally finding a breakfast sausage seasoning without TBHQ, BHA, BHT or MSG.
- Dinner: Our own M4-D Ranch Roast Beef, baked Sweet Potatoes and Spinach Salad. All local except the salad.
- Breakfast: Homemade Blueberry Muffins. Blueberries from our freezer originally purchased from Harris Farms about 15 miles away. Eggs were also local from about 12 miles away.
- Dinner: grilled M4-D Ranch T-Bone Steaks, Baked Potatoes, fresh bean / pea medley (limas and purple hulls) and fresh corn on the cob.
- Breakfast: Homemade Potato and Corn Cakes and Scrambled Eggs. Potatoes and corn left from last night's dinner. Eggs are local from about 12 miles away.
- Dinner: Was supposed to be steak fajitas with homemade tortillas, but a last-minute, dinner-time need to go out to the pasture to check on the cows meant a fast-food meal instead.
- Breakfast: Homemade Biscuits and M4-D Ranch Beef Sausage. On the side: homemade tomato preserves.
- Dinner: M4-D Ranch Steak Strips (from Wednesday's leftover steak), local Green Beans sauteed in soy sauce and local baked Sweet Potatoes.
- Breakfast: French Toast (not local, unfortunately!)
- Dinner: M4-D Ranch Grilled Hamburgers, Homemade Steak Fries and Corn on the Cob. All local ingredients.
I look forward to continuing with local meals as often as possible and another great One Local Summer event next year!